Nov 18: Latest News Updates from Palestine
Translation to Arabic | Translation to most European Languages

Past News Archive
Oct 17 | May | April | Nov

Israeli Force Again Assult Palestine!

Israeli Tanks Move Into Gaza City (Assoicated Press)
Israeli Troops Seize West Bank City (Assoicated Press)
Nov 16 Hear Palestine Briefing (Palestine)
Nov 15 Hear Palestine Briefing (Palestine)
Israelis fear war crimes arrests (Guardian)

1) Israeli Tanks Move Into Gaza City
.c The Associated Press

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) - Israeli helicopters and tanks hit Gaza City early Monday, targeting a main Palestinian security compound, while hundreds of miles away, security guards foiled an attempt to hijack an Israeli passenger plane.

Despite all the violence and a sudden, bitter Israeli election campaign, negotiations continue over a U.S.-backed plan to put an end to the Mideast conflict, according to a document obtained by The Associated Press.

In Gaza City, Israeli helicopters fired missiles at the headquarters of Preventive Security, the main official Palestinian force, and tanks and soldiers moved in, shelling buildings and setting fires. Two Palestinian security officers and a TV cameraman working for Reuters news agency were lightly injured, doctors said. No other casualties were reported.

The army said the offices were used to make weapons. An explosives laboratory, welding equipment, weapons, ammunition and a missile were found in the headquarters, the army said in a release.

Palestinians fired on the troops and shot missiles against tanks but no soldiers were injured, the army said. The Palestinian forces have ``instigated, encouraged and provided support'' for a series of terror activities in the area, the army said.

The Israeli forces pulled out after more than three hours, leaving several of the 11 buildings in the security compound in ruins. At the main administration building, targeted for the first time in two years of fighting, furniture was smashed and computers destroyed, their parts littering the floor as firefighters fought a blaze nearby.

As tanks moved into the city, Israeli gunboats opened fire on the shoreline, shelling the area where Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat's office was. The complex was destroyed in an Israeli attack several months ago.

Apartment buildings and a hospital also came under fire.

The sounds of explosions could be heard all over the city of about 300,000 Palestinians. Witnesses said troops fired shells at the house of Yusuf Mukdad, a Preventive Security officer arrested recently by the Israelis on suspicion of planning attacks against Israelis.

Mustafa Mughrabi, 45, who lives near the Preventive Security base, told The Associated Press by telephone that he was hiding under a bed with his children after gunfire hit his house from three directions. Outside, he said he heard ``the sound of explosions mixed with screams of children.''

Palestinian official Tayeb Abdel Rahim lives about 100 yards from the targeted base. He told the AP that his house was hit by bullets but he was not harmed. He called the Israeli operation ``aggression'' and warned that ``security and stability for Israeli people cannot be achieved at the expense of the Palestinian people.''

So far Gaza has been spared the large-scale military operations in which Israel has taken control of most West Bank Palestinian population centers, retaliation for bloody terror attacks. However, Israeli leaders have said that militant groups operate unfettered in Gaza, and the Israeli military would confront them at some point.

Meanwhile, Turkish police were interrogating a passenger who officials say tried to hijack an El Al Israel Airlines plane just before it landed in Istanbul with 170 people on board. El Al general manager Amos Shapira told the AP that the passenger, an Israeli Arab, ``tried to reach the cockpit with what we assume now is a small pocket knife,'' but was overpowered by security guards.

The Israeli airline is known for its stringent security. Though it is frequently targeted, the last successful attack was decades ago. Shapira said airport authorities would investigate how the passenger managed to board the plane with a knife.

Though serious incidents of violence were occurring every day, and Israel was at the beginning of a fierce campaign toward a general election on Jan. 28, diplomats continued work on a document aimed at negotiating a settlement to the Israel-Palestinian conflict.

The ``road map,'' promoted by President Bush, calls for a three-phase, three-year program that would result in a Palestinian state living in peace beside Israel.

The latest draft, obtained by the AP, contains some answers to Palestinian concerns, including a softening of a demand to name a prime minister to relieve Arafat of some of his duties. Israel has said the plan must be shelved until after its election and formation of a new government.

The so-called ``Quartet,'' working for Mideast peace, is aiming for a mid-December conference at which the final draft of the plan would be presented. The quartet is made up of the United States, European Union, Russia and the United Nations.

On Sunday, Israelis buried most of the 12 soldiers and security guards killed in a Palestinian ambush in Hebron on Friday night, as Israeli troops and tanks fanned out through the West Bank city.

The soldiers were guarding Jewish worshippers returning on foot from Hebron to the nearby settlement of Kiryat Arba.

The Palestinian attack provoked widespread outrage. Prime Minister Ariel Sharon was quoted by local media as calling for a continuous stretch of Israeli settlements from Kiryat Arba to the hotly disputed holy site at Hebron's center, a move that could mean uprooting many Palestinians. Sharon's advisers would not comment, but another Cabinet minister echoed the call.

At a Cabinet meeting Sunday, Sharon and Foreign Minister Benjamin Netanyahu again disagreed on the issue of exiling Arafat. Netanyahu renewed his call for expelling the Palestinian leader, while Sharon again rejected the proposal, as he has several times in the past.

``Arafat himself is often engaged in financing and launching the terrorism,'' Netanyahu told a news conference. ``If any of us still clings to the illusion that we can deliver the task of protecting Israeli lives to the Palestinian Authority, this is an illusion.''

Other Cabinet hard-liners are also urging Sharon to take stronger action. But Sharon has argued that he must weigh such factors as the U.S. desire to keep a lid on regional tensions as it works to build Arab support for a possible war against Iraq.

11/18/02 01:45 EST

2) Israeli Troops Seize West Bank City
.c The Associated Press

HEBRON, West Bank (AP) - Israeli soldiers retook this divided city Saturday, imposed a curfew and herded dozens of blindfolded Palestinians into buses. It was a first response to a Palestinian ambush that killed 12 members of the security forces lured into a dead-end alley.

Israel's retaliation was expected to focus on Hebron itself, with troops staying to crush militias. An adviser to Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said there was no plan to expel Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, as several Cabinet members demanded.

Friday night's ambush by the Islamic Jihad group heightened tensions in Hebron, home to 130,000 Palestinians and 450 Jewish settlers. About 1,000 settlers attended a rally after the end of the Sabbath, some chanting ``revenge'' and ``death to the Arabs.'' Army commanders urged settler leaders to prevent vigilante action.

In the Gaza Strip, hundreds of Islamic Jihad supporters rallied in celebration. Abdullah Shami, a leader of the group, said ``there is no room to give up or to surrender to this criminal Nazi enemy who seeks to exterminate Palestinians in collusion with America.''

The attack began shortly after 7:30 p.m. Friday, after Jewish worshippers had finished Sabbath prayers at the Tomb of the Patriarchs in downtown Hebron and were walking back to the Jewish settlement of Kiryat Arba, about half a mile away, when shot rang out from an olive grove.

An army jeep began chasing the gunmen, racing into a dead-end alley and coming under massive fire from all directions, said Col. Noam Tibon, an army commander.

Early reports had indicated that settlers were among the casualties, but they were out of harm's way when the shooting at the soldiers began. No worshippers were injured.

The dead included four Israeli soldiers, five border policemen and three civilian security guards from Kiryat Arba. It was one of the highest death tolls among security forces in a single encounter since the outbreak of fighting in Sept. 2000. Three Palestinian gunmen were also killed.

Among the dead was Hebron brigade commander, Col. Dror Weinberg, the highest-ranking Israeli officer shot dead in more than two years of Mideast violence.

Fourteen soldiers and border policemen were wounded, including several who were in serious condition.

The U.S. State Department condemned the attack as a ``heinous crime,'' adding that while Israel has the right to take anti-terrorism measures, it must do everything it can to prevent civilian casualties.

Newly named Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz talked by telephone to U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, Mofaz's office said, adding that Mofaz blamed the Palestinian Authority for the attack, though the Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility.

Early Sunday, Israeli helicopters fired three missiles at a target near the Gaza city of Khan Younis, Palestinian security officials said. They said the missiles hit a metal workshop, setting a fire, but no one was hurt. The Israeli military said Palestinians used the metal workshop to make weapons.

Netanyahu said the international community must ``support Israel's right and obligation to take vigorous action against terror and the regimes that back it.''

Netanyahu said he continued to support the expulsion of Arafat. However, Raanan Gissin, an adviser to Sharon, said that a previous Cabinet decision not to expel the Palestinian leader remained in effect.

The United States opposes the expulsion of Arafat at a time when it tries to maintain Arab support for a possible strike against Iraq. The ambush jeopardized U.S. intentions to cool the Mideast conflict and focus attention on Iraq, and scuttled a plan to turn Hebron into a model of calm after an Israeli army pullback.

Jewish settlers in Hebron demanded that troops remain there indefinitely and that the government cancel a 1997 interim peace deal under which Israel withdrew from most of the city.

``What is needed is a response that will shock the enemy,'' said a statement by settler leaders.

Israeli troops razed three homes and cut down the olive grove from which shots were fired. They also rounded up 43 Palestinians, herding them blindfolded into army buses. Several wanted men were among the detainees, the military said.

Armored personnel carriers rolled into the Palestinian sector of Hebron, and troops were deployed throughout the city. Hebron's Palestinian residents were put under tight curfew.

Israeli forces also closed a liaison office, army radio reported. In quieter times, the office is used to coordinate Israeli and Palestinian activities.

Israeli soldiers withdrew from the Palestinian sector three weeks ago under what was to have been a partial pullback of forces from West Bank areas where calm was restored.

In other developments Saturday, 17-year-old gunman Ibrahim Saade was killed in a shootout with Israeli troops in the Jenin refugee camp. Saade, whose twin brother was killed in similar circumstances three months ago, is the son of wanted Islamic Jihad leader in Jenin, Sheik Bassam Saade.

Saade told The Associated Press in a telephone interview from his hideout that he is not shedding tears for his boys deaths. ``I expected both of them to be killed because I raised them in the way of Islam, the way of Jihad (holy war). ...I want your congratulations because my son is a martyr.''

In Nablus, 20-year-old Samar Sharab was hit by Israeli army fire while looking out the window of her home, said her father, Mahmoud Sharab. The army said she was hit by wall fragments and said it was sorry about the death.

Hebron, to the south of Jerusalem, has long been a volatile place filled with religious and political tensions. Muslims here are among the most devout and the settlers among the most radical.

One of the flashpoints is the Tomb, where the biblical Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are buried. Jewish settler Baruch Goldstein killed 29 Muslim worshippers in February 1994 before being beaten to death there. The massacre sparked riots that lasted for days and helped spawn the phenomenon of suicide bombings against Israelis.

11/16/02 21:29 EST

Saturday, 16 November 2002

**Palestinian Assassinated in front of His Family in Jenin Friday
**Youngster and Woman Killed in Nablus since Friday; Military Operation
**Palestinian Youngster Killed in Jenin Refugee Camp during Israeli Invasion
**Child Wounded in Attack on Rafah; Israeli Army Shells Areas in Deir
**Israeli Helicopters Strike Foundry in Gaza City, 8 Civilians Wounded
**Israeli Military Movements in Ramallah and Surrounding Villages
**Occupation Army Opens Fire at Homes near Beit Hanoun Crossing
**Deir al-Balah Residents Suffer from Water Shortage as a Result of Israeli
**Kol Ha'ir: Plan for Establishment of 260 Settlement Units near 'Gilo'
**Two New Military Roadblocks Near Beit Sahour

**Jenin: Execution of Ubeid in front of his Family
**Nablus: When the Army Attempts to Improve its Image through More Killing
**62 Dunums Bulldozed and 13 Homes Demolished in Gaza Strip in One Week
**Gaza: Israeli Tanks Work on Demolishing Al-Masdar Village Land Round the
**Occupation Soldiers also Target the Dead in their Graves
**Khan Younis: Mawasi Students. Difficult Reality and Unknown Future

At least 12 armed Israeli soldiers and settlers were killed and around 17
others wounded in an ambush set up by armed Palestinians who opened fire at
the group while returning from the Ibrahimi mosque on their way to 'Kiryat
Arba'' settlement through a by pass road known as the road of "worshipers".

Israeli sources said that intense armed confrontations broke out between
Israeli military forces and armed Palestinians following the attack and went
on for several hours, during which the Israeli army used tanks and heavy
machine gun fire to attack Palestinian residential areas surrounding the
Ibrahimi mosque.

The home of Azmi Jaber in Jawhar Mount near 'Kiryat Arba'' settlement was
demolished and a number of Palestinian civilians wounded. Israeli soldiers
prevented ambulances from reaching the wounded.

Israeli Apache helicopters hovered over the area and fired light bombs, as
well as dozens of tanks and soldier carriers invaded the city from various
areas and besieged a number of Palestinian homes.

Israeli Channel One television reported that fire came from Abu Sneineh
quarter and that Israeli bulletproof ambulances arrived at the location to
rescue the wounded, but due to the intensity of the fire the rescue
operation was delayed for around 40 minutes.

Palestinian sources said that the Israeli army shelled Palestinian
residential areas intensively, specifically the Old City and the Ibrahimi
mosque area, which resulted in the destruction of several residential
buildings and an unidentified number of casualties.

Islamic Jihad movement claimed responsibility for the attack as a
retaliation for the assassination of Iyad Sawalha, head of the militant
faction of Islamic Jihad in the West Bank, earlier this month.

Israeli sources reported that the Israeli army besieged a building on
'Kiryat Arba'' road where exchange of fire took place. Israeli soldiers
fired rockets at the building in which armed Palestinians were present. The
Israeli army also carried out wide-scale combing activities in the area.

Later, Israeli security sources reported that the exchange of fire ended at
12:00 midnight and that 2 armed Palestinian were killed, expected to have
taken part in the operation.

Israeli medical sources reported that 1 Israeli soldier was killed and 13
others wounded, 3 seriously during exchange of fire. Israeli medical
sources also reported last night that the Israeli army chief in Hebron,
Amnon Cohen, was among the killed in the armed attack, which also resulted
in the death of 9 Israeli soldiers and 3 armed settler security guards. The
sources said that around 30 others were wounded.

Israeli radio reported that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon is expected
to call for a ministerial cabinet on Saturday evening to discuss the Israeli
retaliation to the operation, which according to Israeli political sources
is a "massacre" and requires a heavy military retaliation especially in
Hebron. Sharon also reportedly called for the preparation by the Israeli
Foreign Ministry for a major international media campaign.

Israeli occupation soldiers forced foreign journalists out of Hebron last
night and prevented them from covering the direct heavy military attacks
that targeted homes randomly in the area.


*Palestinian Assassinated in front of His Family in Jenin Friday*

Israeli Special Forces yesterday (Friday) assassinated Mahmoud Ubeid (32
years old) inside his father's house and in front of his family in Anza
Village, Jenin. After making sure that Ubeid was dead, Israeli soldiers
forced the father to drag his son's body outside the house and to leave it
on the ground after forcing him and other members of the family to enter the
house under the threat of weapons. Israeli soldiers held the body of Ubeid
in 'Dotan' military base near Arraba town (See Feature Story Below).

The occupation authorities excused the crime by claiming that Ubeid is one
of those wanted for his active role in Fateh movement.

While occupation soldiers were firing bullets intensively at Ubeid, another
group of Israeli Special Forces besieged the home of Adel Aghmour, and
arrested his son Anwar (23 years old), accused of being a Fateh activist.

Occupation soldiers also attempted to target another man, Muhammad Ubeid,
Mahmoud Ubeid's son, who managed to escape despite a large number of Israeli
soldiers besieging their home.


*2 Palestinian Youngsters Killed in Nablus since Friday; Military Operation

Samar Shar'ab (21 years old) was killed this morning in Israeli fire. Samar
was hit with a tank missile directly in the shoulder while inside her home,
during an Israeli military invasion of the city and its 4 refugee camps.

The invading occupation army enforced a curfew on the city and its 4 refugee
camps (Balata, Ein Beit al-Maa, Old Askar, New Askar).

All roads and routes leading to the city, its refugee camps and villages
were closed with cement blocks and sand piles.

Major military reinforcements were reported in the city under random fire
that targeted homes directly. The remains of the Palestinian security
compound were shelled with tank missiles.

The youngster Amran al-Shilla (17 years old) was killed with bullets fried
from a tank in al-Sheikh Masallam residential quarter in the city (See
Feature Story Below).

Residents in the quarter confirmed that Amran was one of the first youths
who tried to rescue Jalal Uweijan who was killed the day before last with
the beginning of the new Israeli military operation in Nablus.

Uweijan was also killed by Israeli soldiers in tanks during stone throwing
action in the residential quarter by youngsters and children. In addition to
the two youngsters killed, 9 children, between the ages of 7 and 17 years,
were wounded in the past 2 days.

The Israeli military operation in the city continues today for the 4th day
running with a declared aim of arresting "wanted" Palestinians and ending
operations inside Israel. High ranking Israeli military sources reported
that the Israeli presence in the city could take several weeks.

The Israeli army reported that 30 Palestinians have been arrested during
combing activities throughout the West Bank, among them an 18-year old
Palestinian in Nablus who intended to carryout an operation inside Israel.

This morning, Israeli soldiers brutally raided several homes in the city

Mahmoud al-Aloul, Mayor of Nablus, warned today from a humanitarian
catastrophe in the city as a result of military forces occupying several
homes and forcing the inhabitants in tight spaces without basic nutrition
supplies or electricity.

The city has been placed under continuous curfew since the beginning of the
Israeli military operation, during which 3 civilians were killed and dozens


*Palestinian Youngster Killed in Jenin Refugee Camp during Israeli Invasion*

Invading Israeli soldiers killed Ibrahim al-Sa'di (17 years old) from Jenin
refugee camp this morning.

Israeli tanks and armored vehicles under the cover of attack helicopters
invaded the city of Jenin and its refugee camp this morning, while targeting
homes and civilians randomly with heavy fire.

Two other civilians were wounded in the city of Jenin - Wasim Hawashni (16
years old) and As'ad Abed (35 years old).

The resident Zaki Shanan was arrested from the city during the sudden
invasion of Israeli military forces.

The Israeli attack resulted in severe material damage.

The Israeli army closed all main roads and junctions leading to the city and
its refugee camp with cement blocks and sand piles.

At dawn, Israeli military forces arrested 17-year old Mustapha Yahia from
al-Araqa Village during brutal home raids. Israeli soldiers also besieged
the home of Sheikh Mamoud Yahia, who was not present at the time.


* Child Wounded in Attack on Rafah; Israeli Army Shells Areas in Deir

Israeli military forces based on Alon military roadblock, northwest Khan
Younis, near 'Tel Qatif' settlement, fired bullets and a number of missiles
today on residential surrounding areas. A number of homes were damaged but
no casualties reported.

In Rafah the child Marwan al-Hummus (12 years old) was moderately wounded
today when Israeli military forces randomly attacked homes on the borders
with Egypt.

Marwan was wounded while on his way back from school, when an Israeli tank
waged a random attack towards homes in the area for no apparent reason.


*Israeli Helicopters Strike Foundry in Gaza City, 8 Civilians Wounded*

Israeli Apache helicopters at dawn today shelled civilian establishments in
the center of Gaza City. Witnesses reported that Israeli helicopters fired 5
rockets towards a foundry that belongs to al-Masri family in al-Daraj
residential quarter in Gaza City, which led to its complete destruction.
Fire also broke out in the shop.

At least 8 people were wounded and many others suffered from a state of
shock. Medical sources reported that injuries were between moderate and
slight. Those wounded:

- Muhammad al-Farra (28 years old)
- Imad Ghazal (21 years old)
- Raed Shahin (23 years old)
- Shaymaa al-Loh (20 years old)
- Wafa Atallah (23 years old)
- Nisrin Atiya (20 years old)
- Itaf al-Masri (35 years old)
- Hani Youssif (20 years old)

The attack also resulted in an electricity power failure in the area as well
as damage to several homes.

Ambulance and fire brigades rushed to the location, which was overcome with
a state of panic.

Israeli helicopters shelled civilian establishments in Firas market in the
center of Gaza City 2 days ago.


*Israeli Military Movements in Ramallah and Surrounding Villages*

The Israeli occupation army before noon today invaded al-Ram area on the
outskirts of Ramallah, north Jerusalem, under random fire, teargas and sound
bombs. Several people suffered from breathing problems as a result,
including pregnant women and children. The attack was sudden and without

Witnesses reported that Israeli occupation soldiers continue to be based at
the western entrance of al-Ram, where shop owners were forced to close their
shops and leave under the threat of weapons. Israeli "border police"
attacked stool owners in the area and also forced them to leave.

Israeli soldiers based in SamiraMis military location, south of Ramallah,
opened fire randomly towards civilians today on the Jerusalem road. No
casualties were reported.

Last night, several Israeli army patrols entered Ramallah and set up a
military roadblock on al-Irsal road (near Arafat's headquarters), where cars
were stopped, car keys confiscated, people searched and physically attacked.

In the meantime, the Israeli army invaded the towns of Beit Rima today and
Bani Zeid, northwest Ramallah, and arrested at least 3 residents from
al-Rimawi family.

The Israeli army transformed the home of Marsi al-Rimawi into a military
base and used Ashraf al-Rimawi and his car as human shield during the
invasion of the town's streets and alleyways.

A large number of homes were raided in the town and residents abused and
attacked, especially the family of Tamer al-Rimawi, who is "wanted" by the
occupation authorities.

Israeli soldiers physically attacked ambulance driver Imil al-Rimawi and
interrogated his 8-year old son on issues he knows nothing about concerning
the whereabouts of his uncle Tamer.

A military roadblock was set up at the entrance of the town, while heavy
military presence remains inside is maintained.


*Occupation Army Opens Fire at Homes near Beit Hanoun Crossing*

Occupation military forces based near Beit Hanoun crossing opened machine
gun fire today towards nearby homes.

The unexpected random and intense fire resulted in a state of fear and panic
among the residents in the area. No casualties were reported.


*Deir al-Balah Residents Suffer from Water Shortage as a Result of Israeli

The residents of Deir al-Balah suffer from a severe scarcity in water as a
result of Israeli bulldozers destroying the main water network that supplies
the city.

Head of Deir al-Balah municipality Sami Abu Salim said that over 50,000
residents in the city and refugee camp suffer from a serious scarcity in
drinking and non-drinking water as a result of occupation soldiers
demolishing the main water pipe line in the area. He added that an armored
bulldozer and 2 tanks have been working on demolishing the main water pipe
during the past week.

Abu Salim pointed out that the water supply for the residents comes from 3
main water resources controlled by the Israeli army through a main water
pipe that passes through Al-Shuhada Street, north of 'Kfar Darom'

He said that occupation soldiers since around 1 year closed the road for no
apparent reason and considered it a "closed military zone" and as a result
water municipality teams are unable to reach the location and fix the

The shortage of water has forced the residents to walk for long distances in
order to obtain some water from small wells located at the edges of the


*Kol Ha'ir: Plan for Establishment of 260 Settlement Units near 'Gilo'*

The Israeli weekly newspaper 'Kol Ha'ir' reported yesterday that a plan to
establish new settlement units in Sharafat town near 'Gilo' settlement is
underway. The newspaper reported that the plan for the establishment of 260
new residential units is in the first stages of planning.


*Two New Military Roadblocks Near Beit Sahour*

The Israeli occupation army set up a new military roadblock at the entrance
to al-Khas and al-Nu'man village, east of Beit Sahour. Oppressive measures
are practiced at the new military roadblock against workers and students.

Another military roadblock was set up near at al-Sawahira al-Sharqiya



*Jenin: Execution of Ubeid in front of his Family*
From Ali Sammoudi (Al-Quds daily newspaper)

Israeli Special Forces yesterday (Friday) assassinated Fateh activist
Mahmoud Ubeid (32 years old) in his home and in front of his family in Anza
Village, Jenin, minutes the family broke their fast.

Mahmoud's father Abbas Ubeid (60 years old) tells the story:
"While we were about to break our fast in our house, we heard a knock on the
door. My son got up to open the door naturally only to be surprised by a
large number of Israeli Special Forces disguised in civilian Palestinian
clothes and a group of Israeli soldiers who opened fire at him immediately."

The father suffers from a state of shock as a result of witnessing the
execution of his son.

He added:
"They fired at him as soon as he opened the door without talking to him or
asking him for his name. They targeted him in the legs and he fell to the
floor. I got up quickly but froze in my spot shocked at the site of my son
screaming and his blood spilling and covering the floor. In a split second,
Israeli soldiers approached him and fired 5-6 bullets from a very short
distance, which killed him immediately."

The Israeli soldiers then forced the father to drag his son's body outside.
When the father asked what they were going to do with him, they said they
would hand his body over to the Palestinian security coordination office

Ubeid said that the operation aimed at executing his son, who the occupation
authorities claim has been "wanted" for the past 3 months. He added, "They
could have arrested him, since he did not resist or try to escape and also
he was not armed, but the size and attitude of the Israeli force confirms
that the aim was to kill and execute my son in cold blood."

Witnesses reported that the Israeli operation in Anza began the moment fast
breaking started when 3 cars carrying Palestinian plates invaded the
village. The cars headed to 3 homes. The first force invaded Ubeid's home,
the second raided Anwar Ammour's home also "wanted" by the occupation
authorities and the third raided the home another youth from the Ubeid
family who was wounded in the back but managed to escape.

The residents reported that a large Israeli military force invaded the
village after Israeli Special Forces opened fire and imposed a curfew on the
residents. A wide-scale campaign of home raids and searches was carried out
in the village.

The Israeli army handed the body of Mahmoud Ubeid to the Palestinian Red
Crescent. Medical sources reported that he was shot with 10 bullets in
various parts of his body.


*Nablus: When the Army Attempts to Improve its Image through More Killing*
By Ghazi Bani Oda (Al-Ayam daily newspaper)

After less than 24 hours of trying to rescue his friend, Amran al-Shilla (17
years old) was killed in al-Sheik Msallam residential quarter in the center
of Nablus.

Many residents in the area confirmed that Amran was the first to run for the
rescue of his friend Jalal Uweijan who was killed the day before last with
bullets fired from Israeli tanks during stone throwing activities by
children in the area.

As well as the two youngsters who were killed, during the past 2 days 9
children were wounded between the ages of 7 and 17 years.

The Israeli army repeated scenes of bloodshed yesterday in all
professionalism by killing Amran and wounding 3 others under conditions
identical to the hunting spree witnessed in the area the day before and
during which Uweijan was killed.

As Uweijan, the witness to his murder Amran al-Shilla was killed with a
heavy bullet fired at him form an Israeli tank and in the same spot.

Both 17-year old boys from the same residential quarter were killed with
heavy bullets!

The killing of the two youngsters Uweijan and al-Shilla comes within Israeli
army attempts to do up its image through more killing, following a dialogue
within Israel concerning the reality behind Israeli army activities in the
largest of West Bank cities.

The scenes covered by television networks of the children and youth of
Nablus chasing occupation tanks and throwing stones at them cornered the
Israeli army which worked in the past few days to present an image of the
city as a place packed with "killers and terrorists".

Israeli media and analysts considered the scene of children chasing the army
's most powerful war machines a sign of strength for the Palestinians or
these children.

More than one observer pointed towards the scandalous reality of what the
Israeli army is actually doing in the city.

In the face of warnings issued from within Israel concerning the scenes and
the negative repercussions these have on the Israeli army, leaders of the
military campaign in the city found the solution quickly.

While dialogue went on inside Israeli spheres about the youths pouring with
courage in facing with their small hands bullet proof Israeli tanks in
Nablus, the army resumed a plan immediately to deter the children whose
stones did not harm tanks, soldiers or leaders of Israel.

The killing of the two youngsters in the space of 24 hours reveals that the
Israeli army which hinted that it would work on simply arresting the
"wanted" and not killing them, started new liquidation operations that
target this time children and youngsters who brought back to the Intifada in
all worthiness its real popular and peaceful face, which Sharon would not
like to see.


*62 Dunums Bulldozed and 13 Homes Demolished in Gaza Strip in One Week*
By Imad al-Ifranji (Al-Quds daily newspaper)

The Israeli army escalated attacks against agricultural land and property in
the Gaza Strip, bulldozing 62 dunums (1dunum=1000m2) of land cultivated with
olive trees and vegetables and demolishing 13 homes in the space of one week

The weekly report by the Palestinian Center for Human Rights mentioned that
Israeli armored machinery bulldozed in al-Baraka area, south Deir al-Balah,
around 8 dunums of land.

In Qaizan al-Najjar area, along 'Morag' settlement, south Khan Younis City,
the Israeli army on 9 November 2002 bulldozed 19 dunums of land cultivated
with olive trees and potatoes, as well as demolished the water networks that
supply the area.

On 10 November, Israeli bulldozers demolished in Abu Qarqoush area, east of
'Morag' settlement, around 7 dunums as well as water networks, the main
water pipe line and a sheep hutch.

In Rafah, the Israeli army carried out bulldozing activities that targeted 8
homes, 3 completely demolished and 5 partially, while 2 other homes were
damaged in the shelling.

In al-Qarara town, east Khan Younis, Israeli armored vehicles bulldozed 28
dunums of land to the east of the road linking 'Morag' and 'Gosh Qatif'
settlements, and demolished the home of Mahmoud Sha'ban Abu Jazar.
Additionally, bulldozing activities targeted a 1-dunum piece of land
cultivated with olive trees and a water well.

The home of Isma'il Baris, who carried out an operation in a Gaza Strip
settlement, was blown up in al-Amal quarter in Khan Younis inflicting severe
damage on 3 adjacent homes.


*Gaza: Israeli Tanks Work on Demolishing Al-Masdar Village Land Round the
By Hassan Jaber (Al-Ayam daily newspaper)

Al-Masdar village, central Gaza Strip, is subjected to daily military
attacks carried out by occupation soldiers based to the east of the village
along the demarcation lines.

The residents report that Israeli tanks based in two locations set up during
the current Intifada wage attacks on land in the village round the clock,
demolishing and invading the area almost continuously.

According to local statistics, 4 civilians were killed and 9 wounded in the
village, by occupation soldiers under imaginary claims.

The residents confirm that bullets target homes near the demarcation lines
continuously and place the residents in danger at every moment.

Al-Masdar village is situated south al-Maghazi refugee camp and north of
al-Salqa Valley Village. The demarcation line is located on its eastern
borders and Salah al-Din Road west.

Around 3500 people reside currently in the village that covers an area of
4600 dunums (1dunum=1000m2), most of whom work in agriculture. Occupation
measures, however, chase them and their sources of living.

Head of the village council Ayman al-Masdar says, "Israeli occupation
soldiers bulldozed during the current Intifada over 400 dunums of
agricultural land along the demarcation line, which spreads over 2 km of the
village's land."

He confirms that occupation soldiers demolished everything related to the
agricultural life in the area, especially wells, springs and water networks.

He says, "Occupation soldiers based on the demarcation line constantly wage
military attacks on nearby homes, which resulted in the partial damage of
many homes, as well as bulldozed and completely demolished 2 homes in the
area under "security" claims."

Al-Masdar Village is considered the first village to obtain establishment
approval during the Palestinian Authority era in 1995. Previously, the
village under Israeli occupation used to belong to al-Maghazi refugee camp
and suffered negligence.

The heavy presence of occupation military forces in the area deprives the
Village Council from offering services in some areas. Israeli soldiers open
fire at council workers while carrying out surveying activities east of the

Additionally, occupation measures inflicted large costs on the village
council which suffers from major financial difficulties.


*Occupation Soldiers also Target the Dead in their Graves*

WAFA - The Israeli occupation army started lately to chase the dead in their
graves after succeeding in the divestment of the living from their land and
property for the sake of what is referred to as the "Security Wall".

In an inhumane step, the occupation army informed the citizen Rubhiya
Farasini from al-Taiba Village, Jenin, of a military order to remove her
husband's grave (Muhammad Abu Hallouq) who died 20 years ago and the graves
of his father and brother for the sake of widening a military road
established by the occupation authorities lately for the service of the
"Security Wall".

The resident Mahmoud Farasini from Rummana Village said, "The injustice and
oppression of the occupation has crossed all the lines." He reported that
two army patrols raided his sister's home in the adjacent village and
informed her of a military order to remove her husband's grave and his
family, in addition to the grave of a child from Abu Ja'o family.

The occupation authorities confiscated over 250 dunums of land owned by
Rubhiya in al-Taiba village and set up a wall 100 meters away from her home.

Additionally, Israeli bulldozers uprooted hundreds of fruitful trees that
belong to the residents of the village and constructed a military road,
which passes between their homes.


*Khan Younis: Mawasi Students. Difficult Reality and Unknown Future*
By Ayman Abu Laila (Al-Ayam daily newspaper)

The students of Jarir al-Qudwa School in Mawasi area, Khan Younis, face a
difficult reality and an unknown future due to Israeli measures that aim at
disrupting the education system in the area besieged since the beginning of
the Intifada.

Over 1175 students are concerned about the possibility of losing the current
school year, which started 2 months ago, as a result of occupation measures
oracticed against them and their education.

Israeli soldiers based at al-Tuffah military roadblock, west of Khan Younis
refugee camp, which divides Mawasi from the city of Khan Younis, prevent
teachers who live in the city from entering Mawasi. The occupation army at
an earlier stage cancelled the special coordination that allows teachers to
enter the area. This means that since the beginning of the school year, the
occupation army prevents over 25 teachers in the city from reaching the

The only school in Mawasi was set up in recent years to limit the suffering
of students in the area who were forced to cross long difficult routes
(before the Intifada) in order to reach schools in the refugee camp.

The student Muhammad al-Najjar, 6th grade, said that the students insist on
continuing their education despite all difficulties imposed on them by the
occupation. He points out that dozens of students currently study in tents
provided by the International Red Cross organization due to the overcrowding
in the school, after the occupation army prevented the school from
constructing more classes to absorb more students.

The supervisors of the school say they are doing the impossible in order to
sustain the continuation of education in the area, stressing that the school
that was an elementary one only, since the beginning of the Intifada and the
tight military siege imposed on Mawasi has expanded to include all classes.

The students find themselves in an extremely difficult situation. If they
managed to by pass the problem of curfews and moveable military roadblocks
they are faced with a shortage of teachers, mainly for the subjects of
Mathematics and English. 24 teachers currently teach at the school out of

The students face all kinds of obstacles by Israeli soldiers while on their
way to schools, which according to the Palestinian Ministry of Education are
intentional oppressive measures to prevent the children from education.


Hear Palestine is a free press service offering daily mailings from the occupied Palestinian territories. Material is analysed and compiled from the Arabic press, radio and television transmissions, and direct interviews by Karma Abu-Sharif.

Friday, 15 November 2002

**Occupation Army Invades Beit Sahour; Imposes Tight Military Siege on
**Israeli Soldiers Invade al-Zababida Town, Jenin; Arrest Residents
**Ramallah: Occupation Soldiers Invade Um al-Sharayit and Arrest 35 People

**Rafah: Mother of Hamid Could Not Take a Last Look at her Son
**Nablus Sleeps on Invasion and Wakes Up on Another
**Sharon Killed 22 Children in 45 Days, Half of them from Rafah
**Shaymaa's Mother: I Cannot Stand Life without Her

3 Palestinians were killed yesterday in the West Bank and Gaza Strip:

Jalal Uweijan (17 years old) from Nablus was killed with a heavy bullet in
the chest fired by occupation soldiers in al-Sheikh Msallam area in the city
before noon yesterday. Local sources reported that confrontations broke out
between Palestinian youths and the invading occupation soldiers in the
Sheikh Masallam area and Faisal Street, where Palestinian youths threw
stones and empty bottles at Israeli tanks and soldiers. 6 other youngsters
and children were wounded in Israeli military attacks, including a 7-year
old girl.

The occupation army continues its military campaign in the city of Nablus
and its refugee camps amidst a tight curfew imposed on the residents.

In the Gaza Strip Afkat Hitto (52 years old) died of a heart attack when
occupation soldiers invaded Tel al-Hawa area, south Gaza City, at dawn
yesterday. Moussa Hitto (20 years old) who lives with his two parents and 5
younger brother and sisters in the quarter said, "When Israeli tanks invaded
the residential quarter amidst an atmosphere of terror and random shelling,
my mother held me, shaking from fear and screaming until she could not
breath." He said he called the ambulance center immediately but he was told
that ambulances are prevented from movement until the military operation is
over. "I could not stand there and watch my mother die in front of me, so I
rushes out despite the heavy fire and the presence of Israeli tanks until I
reached the ambulance center and convinced one medic to risk his life and to
come with me but by the time we got there it was too late."

In Rafah, Khaled Abu Hilal (27 years old) was hit with live ammunition in
the head while in front of his home near the borders with Egypt.

Dozens of Palestinians were arrested yesterday in south Gaza Strip, Nablus,
Ramallah, Bethlehem, Tulkarem and Hebron, while a tight military siege is
imposed on all cities, towns and villages. In Tulkarem Muhammad Naifa (Abu
Rania), Al-Aqsa Brigades activist, was forced to hand himself over after an
Israeli campaign of destruction and home demolitions and shelling in
Shweikeh suburb.


*Occupation Army Invades Beit Sahour; Imposes Tight Military Siege on

The Israeli occupation army at dawn today invaded the city of Beit Sahour in
Bethlehem and a number of its homes. Nidhal al-Atrash (21 years old) was

Yesterday evening, the Israeli army placed cement blocks on Za'tara-Beit
Sahour road and prevented all movement, while bulldozers destroyed side
routes between Beit Sahour and Al-Ubeidiya area used by the residents to
cross between south and north West Bank.

Israeli soldiers prevented cars from using Wadi al-Nar road.

In Al-Khader village, Israeli soldiers yesterday and today held hundreds of
people and searched them tightly for several hours. Occupation soldiers
arrested the youth Nihad Shahin (22 years old) today.


*Israeli Soldiers Invaded al-Zababida Town, Jenin, at Dawn*

Israeli occupation soldiers at dawn today invaded al-Zababida town, Jenin,
using several armored vehicles and tanks under the cover of attack

Several homes and student residents were brutally raided during the military
attack. Occupation soldiers arrested several people and destroyed the
furniture of homes raided.

The Israeli army tightened the imposed military closure on Jenin. Hundreds
of people are unable to return to their homes in surrounding towns and


*Ramallah: Occupation Soldiers Invade Um al-Sharayit and Arrest 35 People*

Israeli occupation soldiers last night arrested 35 people from Badran
(public) Hall in Um al-Sharayit, Ramallah, during a collective fast breaking
occasion organized by al-Hada organization. Most of those arrested are
students at the Medical Collage in Ramallah.

One of the workers in the hall reported that 800 people were present,
including women and children and just before they began to eat, Israeli
soldiers raided the building.

Israeli Special Forces first arrived at the location in cars with
Palestinian number plates. Israeli military forces followed and besieged the
building, called on the women and children to leave the hall through lid
speakers and ordered the men to remain inside.

At the same time, a curfew was imposed on the surrounding residential area
and journalists prevented from approaching.


FEATURES - Clippings from the Arabic Press

*Rafah: Mother of Hamid Could Take a Last Look at her Son*
By Muhammad al-Baba (Al-Ayam daily newspaper)

"What fault did my son commit", wondered mother of Hamid al-Masri (3 years
old) on her hospital bed Rafah.

She said in a low voice, "As soon as we left our house that was demolished
by the occupation army, bullets started penetrating our bodies and horror
and fear filled the place."

Asmaa al-Masri (31 years old), mother of Hamid underwent emergency surgery
after she was hit with heavy bullets in the stomach. She remains in hospital
under intensive care.

The father As'ad is living a state of shock in every sense of its hardship.
He was dazed and unable to understand what was being said to him. "They
killed my child, wounded my wife and demolished my house."

The Israeli occupation army demolished a large section of al-Masri's home
located at a distance of no more that 100 meters from the borders separating
Palestine and Egypt.

Heavy bullets penetrated Hamid's small body, making a a 5-centimeter radius
tear in his chest, while he was with his mother and father and 3 brothers
and sisters escaping the heavy shelling the day before last in Block 'J'
refugee camp.

Those taking part in the funeral of the toddler carried his brother on their
shoulders and repeated touching slogans for Hamid. The scene was extremely
moving for anyone who saw it, especially when the brother hugged and kissed
his dead brother.

By this, the occupation army would have killed in 48 hours, 3 children in
Rafah, one of them affected by injuries (Muhammad Abu al-Naja, 8 years old),
the second 2-year old Nafith Mish'al and the third Hamid al-Masri.

The agony of al-Masri family combines all portions of the agony lived by the
residents of Rafah - home demolition, killing of women and children and
bulldozing of agricultural land.

Thousands of residents took part in Hamid's funeral yesterday. His body
seemed even smaller amidst a huge funeral convoy. Everyone was there except
his mother who lies in hospital, unable to take a last look at her son's
innocent face.

Dr. Ali Moussa in Al-Najjar Hospital said that the mother's health condition
does not permit her to leave the intensive care unit. He explained that her
surgery took place only a few hours ago and she must not be subjected to any
emotional unrest that would impose a threat on her health.

The number of Palestinian children killed in Rafah since the beginning of
the Intifada reaches 41 children with Hamid being the last, out of over 200.


*Nablus Sleeps on Invasion and Wakes Up on Another*
By Muhammad Daraghma (Al-Ayam daily newspaper)

The foreign journalists who arrived in Nablus yesterday to cover the fifth
invasion of the city were confused at the scenes of destruction. Is this the
result of this invasion or the ones before?

The bigger confusion, however, was among the residents of the largest city
in the West Bank after Jerusalem, who wonder sarcastically what the latest
invasion of Sharon's government is going to achieve more than the four
previous invasions.

But Nablus, which lives between one invasion and another, seems used to
these invasions, which spread over the larger part of this year.

As soon as the night ends, the residents begin to observe their quarters,
each moving in the surroundings of their home depending on to the security
situation. Life comes back immediately in residential quarters where no
Israeli armored vehicles are present and usually the yellow public cars are
a sign for the rest of the residents to start.

Children in the city, which was subjected to continuous invasions and
curfews in the past 5 months lose their right to education due to the
indefinite closure of their schools under curfew on the one hand, and on the
other hand make use of the long free time to practice what they can from
hobbies, especially sports games possible in the alleyways and streets of
the city such as football. The wide streets of the city transform into
football playgrounds for the residents of the suburbs.

As for the Old City of Nablus and the 4 refugee camps, inhabited by around
60,000 people, children search for other games that suit the tight spaces
available such as marbles and other games.

The residents struggle to overcome their great worries represented mainly in
the absence of income. Several humanitarian organizations are active in the
city in provide nutritious aid to thousands of families unable to secure
daily food.

The Mayor of Nablus Mahmoud al-Aloul said the residents survive as a result
of strong social cooperation. The majority of those who obtain monthly
salaries spend it on friends, relatives and family members who do not
receive such an allowance.

Grave losses were inflicted on workers in the trade sector considered the
base for life in the city.

The invading occupation army returned to the same measures followed in
previous invasions such as blowing up and demolishing homes, occupying
apartments and destroying public property - streets, buildings and schools.

In the Old City, the occupation army carried out a campaign of
house-to-house searches, during which several old homes were blown up.

Hani Halawa, owner of one of these homes, said that soldiers blew up his
house without even warning the family inside.

He said, "We were shocked by holes in the back wall of the house, so my wife
and I took the 3 children on our own accord and left the house for fear of
any possible harm that could be done to us. We found refuge in the neighbor'
s house. A few minutes later, the wall blew up, causing it to collapse along
with parts of the ceiling."

The explosion caused a fire in the house, which destroyed most of the

Houses in the Old City are known for their thick walls, made of clay and
stone. According to the residents, occupation soldiers drill the walls and
plant explosives in them and then blow them up, which leads to the collapse
of the wall as well as other parts of the house.

The residents of these homes are forced to move out after their homes become
uninhabitable and some cases unfixable.

Soldiers go through the demolished homes in order to reach adjacent homes
and alleyways.

Occupation soldiers during this invasion repeat the occupation of homes and
the detaining of the inhabitants in one part of the house or building.

Most the time, the aim behind such measures is the punishment of the people
more that the use of the building.

In al-Qaryoun residential quarter in the Old City, over 50 people are held
in on apartment flat on the ground floor of the building, which belongs to
al-Aghbar family. Residents living adjacent to the building reported that
occupation military forces evacuated the 4-story building and turned it into
a base for them.

Al-Aghbar building is one of dozens of buildings and homes occupied by
Israeli soldiers.

Israeli soldiers confiscate whatever comes their way in the homes of the
chased. The theft of computers, mobile phones and money has been reported in
several cases.

Imad al-Tirawi, brother of the chased Iyad al-Tirawi, mentioned that
occupation soldiers confiscated 3 mobile phones and 10,000 Shekels from the
3-story building in which his family lives.

All the measures, which the city is subjected during the current Israeli
military operation, seem a carbon copy of those practiced in the four
previous invasions of this year.

The authorities chose symbolic names for these operations.

The first invasion, which took place last March targeted Balata refugee
camp. This campaign continued 10 days and resulted in the complete
demolition of around 10 homes, the partial demolition of over 100 homes and
10 people killed.

The second invasion targeted the city and its 4 refugee camps and continued
for 18 days, during which 75 people were killed, the majority civilians.

The third invasion, which took place last June targeted the Old City and
continued for 2 weeks.

As for the fourth invasion, which took place last July, that continued for 4
months and a half during which the city was placed under curfew for over 110

One month and a half ago, the occupation authorities changed the
continuously imposed curfew into a nighttime curfew.

280 homes were completely demolished during the four invasions. Damage was
inflicted on around 4000 homes, commercial shops and institutions.

The Israeli government claims that the new military operation in the city
Nablus targets what it refers to as "terrorist cells".

However, the Mayor of Nablus Mahmoud al-Aloul says the aim from these
never-ending invasions is punishing the residents of the city and
transferring their lives into nightmares.

This campaign specifically wears a more violent mask more for its connection
with the current elections campaign taking place in Israel and in which
Sharon and members of his party are trying to sell themselves as bringers of


*Sharon Killed 22 Children in 45 Days, Half of them from Rafah*

Quds Press - At a time when the children of the world are enjoying their
childhood, the children of Rafah are busy saying farewell to their friend
Hamid al-Masri, only 3 years old, killed by Ariel Sharon's soldiers the
night before last while near his family home. Hamid's mother was critically

The children of Rafah, who have been targeted continuously by Israeli
military forces lately, took turns in kissing the forehead of the child
al-Masri before his funeral that was filled with roses and Palestinian

Children have become used to this tradition lately, alien to other children
in this world. In the past 45 days, 22 Palestinian children were killed.

Since none of these children knows when their turn will come to lie in Hamid
's place, after the vision of both death and life equalized for them, they
started saying farewell to each other in a race with the occupation's

The present absent at this farewell was the mother of the child, whose
critical condition prevented her from seeing her son one last time, but the
women present cried bitterly for Hamid, each one of them imagining that this
could have been her son or they could have been his mother.

Despite attempts by the family to calm the mother down and convince her that
her child is fine, her mother's instinct left no doubt that her son was
killed. The only words she kept repeating were, "My son is lost". She had
seen him while she was wounded being brought in to the hospital.

The child was not placed in a coffin, but carried by his father and uncles
according their wish, in order for the crimes committed by Israel to be
witnessed, perhaps Hamid would be the last victim killed.

According to the latest statistics by "Quds Press", Israeli occupation
soldiers killed since the beginning of the third year of Intifada, one month
and a half ago 22 children, under the age of 18 years, over half of them
fell in Rafah, south Gaza Strip.

The statistics pointed out that 12 children were killed in Rafah, followed
by Khan Younis where 5 children were killed, and in Nablus and its refugee
camps Balata and Ein al-Maa and Nazlat Sheikh Zeid in Jenin, one child was

Last month (October) witnessed the highest number of children killed. 16
children were killed last month and 4 children this month (until the day
before last). 2 children were killed on 30 September.

Jaber Washah, deputy general director of the Palestinian Center for Human
Rights in Gaza, called of immediate international protection for the
Palestinian people considering what he referred to as the "dangerous
figures" concerning the targeting of children specifically. Washah stressed
the necessity for punishment measures to be taken against the State of
Israel on all levels - economic, political and legal - and for its leaders
to be submitted to war crime courts in order to end brutality against the
Palestinian people.

Washah said that the killing of children does not take place only through
intentional killing with bullets or missiles, but there is an invisible
killing, which he referred to as the "slow death" of Palestinians children
as result of the deterioration in the economic situation and lack of
nutrition due to the closures imposed. This phenomenon reached a peak this
year and in large percentages, especially in al-Mawasi area, southwest Gaza
Strip, which has been placed under tight military closure since the
beginning of the Intifada prevented access to basic human necessities.

The human rights specialist revealed an Israeli plan that targets Rafah
refugee camps, south Gaza Strip, especially those along the borders with
Egypt. According to Washah, the plan is to be implemented by 2020. The plan,
which was prepared by Israel previously (before the break out of the
Intifada) is reportedly for the construction of an international road that
links Ras al-Naqab (Negev) to the sea and passes through 'Block 'O', Block
'J' and al-Barazil residential quarter in Rafah, which are the areas
constantly subjected to attacks and demolition.

According to human rights expert, on this basis shelling and destruction
will continue to target anything that comes in the way of the implementation
of this plan, whether children or homes.


*Shaymaa's Mother: I Cannot Stand Life without Her*
By Adel Zu'rub (Al-Quds daily newspaper)

"When we sat around the table to break our fast, I imagined she was sitting
among us. When I felt her absence, I suppressed my tears in front of my
children and went outside to burst out in heavy crying."

This is how the mother of Shaymaa Abu Shamala (9 years old) from Block 'O'
in Rafah described the situation in her family of 9 members, around the
dining table during the first days of Ramadan.

An Israeli tank missile killed Shaymaa on 17 October 2002.

Shaymaa's mother continued her sad story, wiping her tears, "I cannot stand
life without her, she filled the house with happiness and energy, playing
with her sisters and bothers."

She said sadness overcomes the family, especially her brothers and sisters
who cry continuously.

The mother of Iyad Abui Taha, 17 years old, sits in one corner of her house
remembering the sad moments she went through as she lost her eldest son,
during an Israeli attack on al-Qassas area near the borders with Egypt one
day before Ramadan.

She says with tears in her eyes, "The news about his death struck me like
lightening, he left school to help his family and work with his father but
he returned to me a dead body on the first day of Ramadan. When looked at
him I knew that I will never see him again. The occupation burnt my heart."

"His brothers and sisters remember him and ask me innocently, 'where did
Iyad go?' and I answer 'to heaven'. She wipes her tears and says, "The
occupation deprived me from Iyad for ever, his light will remain between us
and in our hearts his beautiful picture is engraved."
Hear Palestine is a free press service offering daily mailings from the occupied Palestinian territories. Material is analysed and compiled from the Arabic press, radio and television transmissions, and direct interviews by Karma Abu-Sharif.

5) Israelis fear war crimes arrests,2763,838186,00.html

Chris McGreal in Jerusalem
Tuesday November 12, 2002
The Guardian

The Israeli government has ordered an urgent assessment of whether its
politicians and soldiers could face arrest and trial for war crimes while
travelling abroad.

The move follows a report by the justice ministry that singled out Britain,
Spain and Belgium as the most likely to prosecute Israeli officials who
breach international law. But the government fears there is a growing trend
towards global justice that could see Israelis effectively barred from
visiting a host of states.

"We are building a map of all those countries that might give us a
headache," said Ra'anan Gissin, spokesman for the Israeli prime minister,
Ariel Sharon. "They want to arrest Israelis who are enforcing the law while
the real war criminals, like Saddam Hussein and Yasser Arafat, get away scot

The report was ordered after lawyers presented the cabinet with a report
commissioned in the wake of a failed legal action in the Belgian courts last
year accusing Mr Sharon of war crimes over the massacres of Palestinians in
refugee camps 20 years ago.

Last month, Scotland Yard launched an investigation of Israel's new defence
minister, Lieutenant General Shaul Mofaz, during his short visit to Britain.

Amnesty International has called on signatories to the Geneva conventions to
put on trial Israeli soldiers "responsible for war crimes" as defined in the
Geneva conventions, such as unlawful killings, torture and the use of
Palestinians as human shields in Jenin and Nablus earlier this year.

· Binyamin Netanyahu, the new Israeli foreign minister, yesterday called for
Mr Arafat's removal after a gunman killed five Israelis, including a mother
and two children, in a kibbutz on Sunday.


Back to PeaceNoWar Home Page